Thursday, March 1, 2012

DYI Laptop skins

My youngest has been wanting to decorate her laptop for months, but the skins and kits are pricey. This week I had to pick her up from school, sick 2 days in a row.  Day 3 I told her she had better stay home.  Her reasoning for going to school... Standardized testing. She couldn't miss.  So I would pick her up each day after the test. Day 3 no testing she stayed home.  So what to do w/ a bored sick teenager? Have them make a laptop skin.  On our way home from school I stopped at the hardware store for Contact Paper, and permanent makers. I use to use Contact Paper in my daycare days to decorate the walls.


What you will need.:
Contact Paper.  Choice a color or print you like or get white or clear and draw your own design.
Pencil
Scissors or rotary cutter
Utility knife
Ruler
Permanent markers
Light box or window (for tracing)



1. Measure the top of your laptop.
2. Cut contact paper a little larger than measurements (easier to cut if to big than to piece if to small.)
3.If making your own design, now is the time.
4. Clean surface of laptop w/ a baby wipe or a paper towel w/ a small amount of alcohol on it.
5. Decide the placement and start on one side peeling back an inch or 2 of the backing  at a time and smoothing with your hand.
6. Once you are happy w/ the placement trim edges with the utility knife, smooth corners and rounded edges.
7. Go over the surface w/ credit/gift card to burnish and remove air bubbles. Stubborn air bubbles can be pricked w/ a straight pin.


Ideas and hints:

I used a rotary cutter and ruler, I can't cut a straight line w/ scissors.

If you are making your own design I suggest drawing it out on blank paper and tracing it onto your Contact Paper using a light box, window or carbon paper. (Yes, I have some good old fashion carbon paper. I think it's older than me.) My design is from a piece of fabric.

If it's a repeating design draw only once and move it around as you trace, you will have a uniform design.

I traced my design onto the Contact Paper thinking I wanted black and white. Once I was done I decided it needed color so I just started coloring, no need to start over.

My daughter decided to do stickers (no measuring).  She drew pictures on clear Contact Paper and cut them out.

Don't use your printer, Contact Paper is to slick and you'll have a smeared mess. Tho I haven't tried to old hair spray trick were you spray the paper after you've printed it w/ airasol hair spray.  I've done that on plastic sheeting and the hair spray sets the ink. I will have to try that.  If anyone tries it please let us know if it works.

Chalk board Contact Paper might be a fun idea. Then you could change your design or write notes as much as you want.

Target and Walmart have a better selection of Contact Paper and permanent markers than the hardware store.

I will be doing my file cabinets next.
I warned my bose I may do this to my PC at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment